Sunday, May 2, 2010

Heavenly Hash and Poke

I finally got my hands on some poke salad and boy did I make it count! I know I mentioned the HAM in previous posts. Well. . . its been ham and more ham all week and so tonight it was time for hash. I love hash-so versatile. You can do ANYTHING with it. Really the bottom line is make fried potatoes and add stuff to it! I think you will like this recipe--remember to OWN IT--feel free to change it up--make it your own.

Heavenly Hash
potatoes-I used unpeeled russets scrubbed sliced thin probably 1.5 lbs
meat--I used sliced ham off the bone-cut into bite sized pieces probably 1 lb. could use a variety of meats --precooked of course
1 cup frozen corn
1 onion sliced
2 cloves chopped garlic-jarred is fine
seasoned salt to taste
freshly grated black pepper
freshly grated cheddar

Start with 1 T. olive oil and 1-2T. canola oil. You don't need much oil b/c taters are sliced thin. Heat to med/high in large nonstick skillet. Throw in taters and onion. Season with seasoned salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook for about 3 minutes uncovered,stirring frequently, then cover loosely and cook for about 2-3 more minutes. Add in garlic and corn. Mix well. Partially cover again. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Stir in ham. Cook partially covered for about 3 minutes until heated through. Top with desired amount of shredded cheddar. This is so yummy. And so easy.

Poke Salad
WARNING--Poke is poisonous if not boiled before cooking!
Wash desired amount of poke. Boil poke partially covered in salted water for 30 minutes. Drain very well. Melt bacon grease in skillet over med-high heat. Add poke and chopped onion if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Serve with jalepeno vinegar. YUMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment