Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Mexican Stack

This was FAB! Really FAB! I hope I can remember how I did it----Here goes--

The Mexican Stack
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 T. tomato paste
3 cups low sodium chicken broth--I made my own with ch. base and water
1 T. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. powdered garlic
4 cups shredded cheddar
1/2 lb-1 lb. browned ground beef--I seasoned mine while cooking with garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper--not too much seasoning---I also used about 3/4 lb.
12 corn tortillas
sour cream
large oval crock pot.

All seasoning measurements are approximate! I don't measure. I eyeball and use my palm! Mix tomatoes, paste, broth and spices. Grease crock pot. Place 3 tortillas in bottom--will need to tear tortillas to fit. Sprinkle with cheese and beef. Cover with good amount of sauce. Repeat layers until tortillas are used. The last layer is sauce. Can top with additional cheese if desired. Bake on low for 5-6 hours. Let cool a bit before serving. Serve with dallop of sour cream, cilantro and hot sauce (if you can take the heat!) This is so good! We all loved it!

1 comment: