Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stove-top Meatloaf

It is SO hot--or has been SO hot. I keep my thermostat on 80 degrees so when the oven is turned on, it gets hot in our house. I invented this the other night and it was delicious! We ate all of it--except for 1 piece. The fam. said it was my best meatloaf ever!

Stove-top Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 egg beaten
1 package onion soup mix
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Italian seasonings
lots of ground black pepper
3/4--1 cup or so of bread crumbs--I used 2 hard wheat rolls crumbled--You could use 3-4 slices plain white or wheat bread, already prepared bread crumbs, etc. (Remember most prepared bread crumbs are SALTY.) The crumbs are just a filler--to help form the loaf--for texture--you get it.
1/3 cup or so of milk

NOTE--I know my recipes have LOTs of estimated measures. I am sorry for this you sticklers. The key here is being able to form a nice shaped loaf. My loaf was approximately 8x4x2.5 inches. Approximate now, approximate. (I have a ruler sitting right here by me).

Tear bread into pieces. Add milk. Add the rest of the ingredients. Get your hands in it now. Come on, work it now. Mix well and make a nice loaf. Loaf should form easily. Grease HEAVY stockpot. Place your meatloaf in the pot. Cover tightly and place over medium heat for 40-50 minutes. NO PEAKING here--Ok, a little bit of peaking ok, but quickly put the lid back on. This is the key--letting the meatloaf kind of steam. Check doneness with meat thermometer. You are looking for 160 degrees.

Let the loaf cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with ketchup. Delicious. So moist and EASY! Seriously, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment