Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weary. . .

Do you ever get that way? If you told me you were, I would tell you to look up (at him).
Hey, somebody forgot to tell me that juggling work, kids, spouse, house, church, life in general was tuff. . . at times.
But then I remember my children are well, my belly is full and my pjs are warm. I think it is called perspective right?

Eye of the Round Roast---by Paula Dean with my tweaks of course

1 eye of round roast(be sure you know exact weight)
1/2 cup red Burgundy wine
1/3 cup soy sauce
fresh cracked pepper.

Make marinade or wine, soy sauce and pepper. I used a large freezer bag. Add meat. Marinate overnight. Next day, place meat in shallow pan with a little of marinade. I foil lined my pan. Preheat oven to 500*. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes per pound of meat. Turn off oven and cover roast with foil. Leave in oven for 40 minutes for medium-rare roast.

This was pretty good. I sliced that medium rare roast up pretty thin and then returned it to the warm au juice which cooked the beef a bit more. We made sandwiches on whole wheat buns with the beef and mozarella cheese/parmesan cheese.
Yummy.

This next recipe was WAY TOO COOL! It is another Paula Dean with a huge variation. Don't knock it before you try it. My kiddos loved them! Lets just say, don't let the baby eat too many!

Green Muffins

1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup-3/4 cup canned turnip greens drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350*. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Stir together cornmeal and flour in mixing bowl. Add the eggs, greens and juice, oil and sour cream. Don't overmix. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

This was WAY too cool. Paula uses home cooked turnip greens in her recipe which I'm sure is delicious as well! She also warms the muffin tins before filling with the batter.

What I liked about the canned turnip greens versus home-cooked was of course the ease, and the kids ate their muffins with butter and honey. If using home-cooked I think the muffin could only be eaten savory. We also sampled the muffins with sour cream.

My favorite pork chops
4-6 pork boneless pork loin chops about 1/2 inch thick
Italian bread crumbs
freshly ground black pepper
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
Italian seasoning
oil for browning

Dredge chops in crumbs. I use a large storage bag for ease. Brown 2 minutes on each side in oil. (You don't need much oil here--only about 1/4-1/3 cup in large nonstick skillet). Place in greased 9x13. Mix can of soup with 1 soup can full of hot water. Add about 2-3 tsp. of Italian seasoning and 1 tsp. pepper to this mixture. Pour gravy over chops. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350* for 1 hour.

Last night was the first night I used water instead of milk in the recipe. Guess what--it worked great, possibly better than milk!

Well, I'm recipeeed out now, so I'm off to pack bags and finish the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment