Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chicken Fried Steak--EASY

1 to 1.5 lbs. cube steak at room temp
1.5 cups seasoned flour--I use Lawry's and fresh pepper. Go Easy with Lawry's.
1/2-1 cup milk-room temp best. at least not super cold.
canola oil for frying
medium sized fry pan--I like cast iron, but sometimes just use non-stick

Soak cube steak in milk. Longer is better but not necessary if in a hurry. Last night I soaked for about 1-2 minutes. 15-20 minutes would have been better. Heat oil to medium high heat. This does not require a lot of oil--about 1/2-3/4 inch high in skillet.(Depending on your dieting mood). Dredge soaked meat in flour 1 piece at a time. Give it a nice coating but be sure to shake off excess flour. To test oil temp drop in a bit of flour--just a pinch. If it sizzles nicely and doesn't burn up immmediately--you are probably good. I usually just cook one piece of meat at a time if using my smaller skillet. It is easier to control the heat and the meat does not take long to cook. I sometimes do have to adjust the temp. of the oil down after adding the meat. Just watch it. CLEAR ALL KIDS FROM KITCHEN B4 frying. Cook meat 2-3 minutes per side. Try to turn it just once. (its ok if you have to turn it twice but once is best). This is really really delicious and terribly easy even on a work night. Last night I didn't have time for cream gravy, so I cut it up like steak fingers after cooking and we ate it with ketchup.

Cheek kids rating-8.
Hubs rating-7 (it wasn't perfect and didn't have gravy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment