Saturday, April 17, 2010

Mrs. Cheek's kitchen is back open-Lentils

So I had no idea what I was doing but wanted to try cooking lentils. It worked.

Lentil Soup-Cheek Style
1 lb. Lentils-rinsed
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
8 cups low sodium chicken broth--I make my own from store bought chicken base
seasoned salt
1 tsp. sugar
fresh ground pepper
4 T. olive oil

Here we go. Coat bottom of dutch oven with olive oil. Heat to med-high. Add veggies-except for lentils. Season veggies w/seasoned salt, pepper and sugar. (Find a seasoned salt you REALLY like. My favorite is one from Tastefully Simple.) Cook veggies for about 5 minutes-till browned a bit. Add chicken broth--this will "deglaze" the pan. Add lentils. (I assume you know to stir, right?) Bring to boil. Boil for about 4 minutes--stirring occasionally. Cover. Simmer (low-medium heat) for about 15-20 minutes. Add more broth if desired depending on how soupy or stewpy you want your soup. Add tomatoes now and heat through. The Lentil Soup is now ready to enjoy! Serve w/freshly ground pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment